- ISBN 9780500514924
- 28.00 x 25.00 cm
- With over 500 illustrations
- First published 2009
‘Every now and again along comes a book that acts as a cultural bookmark … Thames & Hudson’s new doorstopper Sixty is just such a book’ – Grafik Magazine
'Seriously kickass … a pictorial wonder'–
A celebration of sixty visionaries in art, design, fashion and other creative fields, published to mark Thames & Hudson’s 60th anniversary
This landmark publication celebrates creative makers and thinkers who are redefining the way we and future generations will experience the world around us. These artists, photographers, architects, fashion designers, product designers, street artists, curators and writers enrich our visual culture, our planet and our lives.
A group of international experts from twelve fields of creative practice – from fine art and photography to graphic design, architecture and ecology – have each selected five people who are making significant contributions to the way we experience life and visual culture.
The result displays hundreds of the most exciting projects and concepts being produced today.
• Each section features an introduction by the editor and richly illustrated profiles of five innovators
• Featured artists and designers include Jonathan Harris and Ben Fry (Graphic Design); Swoon and Space Invader (Street Art); Taryn Simon and Christopher Williams (Photography); Miuccia Prada and Tom Ford (Fashion); and Wendy Seltzer and Natalie Jeremijenko (New Media).
• Interiors & Exteriors: Introduction by Julie Lasky, Statement by Martha Schwartz
• StreetWorld: Introduction by Tristan Manco, Statement by Blek le Rat
• Built World: Introduction by Cecil Balmond, Statement by Greg Lynn
• Green World: Introduction by Alastair Fuad-Luke, Statement by Enzo Mari
• Graphic Design: Introduction by Alice Twemlow, Statement by John Maeda
• Advertising: Introduction by Tom Himpe, Statement by Bob Greenberg
• Fashion: Introduction by Masoud Golsorkhi, Statement by Paul Smith
• Photography: Introduction by Charlotte Cotton, Statement by James Welling
• New Media: Introduction by Jon Ippolito and Joline Blais, Statement by Bruce Sterling
• Visual Arts: Introduction by Emma Dexter, Statement by Hans Ulrich Obrist
• Applied Arts and Materials: Introduction by Laura Houseley, Statement by Tom Dixon
• 4D Design: Introduction by Paola Antonelli, Statement by Yves Béhar
Some of the Thames & Hudson books whose authors and editors contributed to 60.
Advertising is Dead Advertising Next
Formulas for Now
Getting Through the Walls
Independent Design Guide
The Photograph as Contemporary Art
See an interview with editor Lucas Dietrich about the making of the book