The Complete Greek Temples
- ISBN 9780500051429
- 25.40 x 19.20 cm
- 400 Illustrations, 121 in colour
- First published 2006
'Mail on Sunday' Travel Book of the Week!
‘Superbly illustrated … the clearest, most succinct introduction on the market … no traveller to these antique lands should go without it’ – The Sunday Telegraph
‘Beautifully conceived and written, thoroughly documented and brilliantly designed and illustrated handbook’ – The Times Higher Education Supplement
‘The perfect gift for classics geeks … fascinating stuff’ – The Sunday Times
This is the first complete, fully illustrated survey of Greek temples ever compiled. Written by a leading authority and profusely illustrated with photographs, maps, plans and reconstruction drawings, it is both an inspiring survey for tourists and travellers and an essential work of reference for students and scholars.
• Homes of the Gods: Development, Glory and Decline
• Building for the Gods: Siting, Construction, Decoration
• Encounters with the Gods: The Temple in its
• Temples of the Gods: Seven Journeys Through Greek Lands – a complete and up-to-date gazetteer of colonnaded Greek temples, including the famous temples of Athens and Olympia, as well as hundreds of lesser-known sites, along with the latest discoveries, all arranged by region.
Tony Spawforth, former Assistant Director of the British School at Athens, is Professor of Ancient History at Newcastle-
upon-Tyne University and Honorary Curator of the Shefton Museum of Greek Art there. He is co-editor of The Oxford Classical Dictionary, co-author of Greece: An Oxford Archaeological Guide and a well-known presenter of programmes in the BBC television series 'Ancient Voices'.