- ISBN 9780500289228
- 23.50 x 20.00 cm
- Flexibound PLC with flaps (no jacket)
- With over 500 illustrations in colour
- First published 2011
‘This book is definitely one to add to your collection ... Highly visual and packed full of information’ – Making magazine
An easy-to-use guide to the properties, peculiarities and potential of fabrics
Here is the fabric and textile directory that dressmakers and fashion designers everywhere have been waiting for. This book is like having your own personal shopper – able to recommend fabrics to suit the effects you want to achieve, show you how the fabric will perform, and tell you the best ways of using it and how to view the fabric as the medium from which the garment design can be achieved right from the beginning.
• Do you want a fabric for structure, drape, added volume, definition or decoration?
• Do you want something that clings to the figure, or allows you to construct a whole new silhouette?
• Do you want a finish that is pretty – or lustrous and magnificent?
• Transform your vision into final design through the appropriate use of fabric
• Learn to speak the language of fashion and textile design and communicate your vision in industry-appropriate vocabulary
Each textile in the directory is accompanied by samples of the fabric presented so that its properties come alive, allowing you to really understand how a fabric might behave.
The chart section includes essential guides to fibre properties, fabric structure and weight, fabric characteristics and end use.
Gail Baugh teaches textiles and merchandising at both San Francisco State University and the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising.