The Handbook of Painted Decoration
The Tools, Materials and Step-by-Step Techniques of Trompe L'Oeil Painting
- ISBN 9780500017128
- 29.30 x 21.60 cm
- 830 Illustrations, 775 in colour
- First published 1996
This is the first book to cover the whole spectrum of trompe l'oeil decorative painting, from classic marbling and wood graining to ancient techniques of decorative painting that have nearly been forgotten.
Illustrated in full colour throughout, The Handbook of Painted Decoration is for everyone, amateur and professional alike, who loves trompe l'oeil - whether painter, decorator, interior designer or home-owner.
In this authoritative and practical guide, two distinguished teachers and award-winning artist-painters share their knowledge and the secrets of their trade, providing clear step-by-step instructions on all the techniques and expert advice on tools and materials.
From the simplest geometric borders to panoramic murals, they cover every conceivable subject, providing an endless repertoire of clever visual effects.
• Basic patinas and variations for aged, antiqued, coloured, marbled, cloud-patterned, sponged, rag-rolled and jaspered finishes
• Step-by-step instructions on the imitation of marble, brickwork, mosaics, ivory, terracotta, mother-of~pearl, leather, parchment, wood and other materials
• Sections on decorative friezes, ornamental devices and drapery, including striped and patterned voiles, silks, satins. velvet, brocades and tapestries
• Demonstrations of the decorative painting of trelliswork, glass engraving, grisaille, marouflage, stained glass, lacquerwork and glass painting.