The Thames & Hudson Dictionary of Photography
- ISBN 9780500544471
- 30.70 x 20.00 cm
- Hardback without Jacket
- Illustrated throughout with over 300 photographs and diagrams
- First published 2015
‘A landmark publication for photography and one that will be read for years to come’ – Black & White Photography
‘Built from the ground up, with contributions from the world’s most trusted experts, this is an indispensable resource for new readers and professionals alike. The dictionary artfully presents just the right amount of information, with entries on artists and subjects not found in any other volume’ – Phillip Prodger, Head of Photographs, National Portrait Gallery
‘Painstakingly well-researched … a pleasure to read’– Amateur Photographer
• The essential, definitive reference on more than 180 years of photography in one authoritative volume
• More than 1,200 concise yet highly informative and fully cross-referenced entries on the art, history, science, masters and proponents of photography – from ‘Abbas’ to ‘Zoom lens’
• Illustrated throughout with over 300 photographs and diagrams, including major works that have defined the genre
• Fresh scholarship by an international team of 77 researchers
• Elegant, modern design.
Nathalie Herschdorfer is a curator and art historian specializing in the history of photography. She is Director of the Museum of Fine Arts, Le Locle, Switzerland. Her numerous publications include Coming into Fashion: A Century of Photography at Condé Nast and Afterwards: Contemporary Photography Confronting the Past, both published by Thames & Hudson.